Monday, April 27, 2015

Dr. Bob in Albany, New York

In possibly one of the worst neighborhoods there is, is a doctor commonly known as Mr.Bob that has taken up residence in a local hospital, and spends every last cent of his salary helping others. To be more exact, he really has no salary.

He had a decent job, up until he realized that he wasn't really making the world any better. So he gave up his career, and went to medical school at age 36. He thought he could help even those that don't have the money nor the insurance to pay for counseling, or to receive medical attention. Sometimes he even gives money to his patients to cover their expenses for other things not related to medicine. Without a doubt, he is a truly selfless man.

I think that what he has done for those around him is truly something that is so incredibly kind, and I don't think that even I have the capacity he has to carry so much warmth within me, to live in a bad neighborhood. If I was him, I would want to live in a nice place, where I have a clean roof over my head, and an upcoming retirement home to relax in. I wouldn't want to put even my own health in danger by giving my salary away to people I hardly know. Usually, medical careers would pay a lot of money, and I would want to be receiving my share.

There is much to be learned about this man, Dr. Bob, and that is, to put aside your interests for the good of those around you. Don't be a selfish person, because at the end of the day, is the world any different when you die, than when you were born? Will you be remembered for being a good person? Will you have made any change in the world?

No comments:

Post a Comment