Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Forgiveness

Prisoner: Eric Smallridge

Girls: Megan
           Lisa

Megan's mother: Renee

This story is about a man who was drinking and driving, Eric Smallridge, and as a result became the offender in a horrific account of manslaughter. His poor choices ended the lives of two girls (Megan and Lisa) and landed him 22 years in jail.

However, Eric's sentence was halved, and not just by anyone, but by Megan's mother Renee, who knew that Eric was truly sorry for what he had done. Renee said that although she had felt rightfully angry and hateful towards Eric at the beginning, it hadn't allowed her to move on. When she went out to have Eric's 22 year sentence cut down, she was not only freeing him from jail, she was freeing herself from all of her bitterness. Renee recognizes that the only true way to heal is to forgive, and that's exactly what she did.

I think that this story sends a very powerful message, and I know that I wouldn't have been able to forgive the man who killed my daughter. I would've hated him for my entire life, and continued to grow until I was a bitter old woman. Forgiveness is key to happiness, and holding a grudge doesn't hurt anyone as much as it hurts yourself. Even though I'm saying this as a hypocrite ( I know I would never have forgiven Eric) I understand the sentiment behind it.

No comments:

Post a Comment