Thursday, February 5, 2015

Veterinarian

Duties and Responsibilities:
Veterinarians care for the health of animals. They diagnose and treat all kinds of animals (i.e. pets, farm animals, etc.)
Salary:
The median annual wage for veterinarians is $84,460, or $40.61 per hour. 

Education:
Veterinarians must complete a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree at an accredited college of veterinary medicine. Additionally, although not required, most applicants to veterinary school have a bachelor’s degree. Veterinary medical colleges typically require applicants to have taken many science classes (like biology, and such). The field is very competitive.



Reflection:
I never really considered becoming a veterinarian, but it seems like something I would be interested in. The wage is reasonably well, and the education required to become one isn't as incredibly demanding as other careers in the medical field. I think that the only thing that would really discourage me from this career is the fact that there is competition. I mean, I'm sure that if I liked it enough, I'd try it, but there are also other thing to consider: despite the fact that I love animals, I can't stand being around them because my allergies act up, so who knows what I'd do then. Still, I wouldn't completely turn away the prospect. I categorize veterinarians as humanitarians, and I like the idea of being considered one as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment