Friday, February 20, 2015

CTR

Rachel Castillo

What would you do with $36,000 dollars? The most plausible reaction would be to: celebrate, spend it, go on a trip, have fun, right? Well, what if you found those $36,000 dollars on the floor? The answer would probably be the same.

Rachel Castillo was an employee working at a golf course in Miami, Florida when she found a bag with a whopping $36,000 dollars in cash, lying abandoned. She immediately contacted the police, and the owner of the money was identified as a 76 year old man with declining health.
Rachel is commended for her act of citizenship, returning the money instead of thinking about spending it. She did a great deed, and says that it is all due to her upraising: Do not steal, do not lie.

This leaves a question, would you have done the same thing, in her place?

Reflection:
I think that in her place, I would've done the exact same thing, but not because I was a good person or anything, but because I'd be scared to do anything with that money. People would question it, they would ask me how I suddenly have a lot of spending money, and my guilt wouldn't be able to fabricate a lie in defense.
Rachel, on the other hand, did things because she was genuinely a good person, and I commend her for that. In this world, there are very few of those.

No comments:

Post a Comment