Monday, August 18, 2014

Ophthalmologist


Ophthalmologist

Duties and Responsibilities:

Ophthalmologists are physicians who specialize in the treatment of eye disorders and diseases. They treat vision problems and write prescriptions for both pharmaceuticals and corrective eyeglass lenses. When necessary, they preform eye surgery. Most ophthalmologists are in private practice, however some are employed by hospitals or clinics, and others preform research.

Average Salary: $90,000 - $150,000

Educational Requirements:

Only physicians may study to become ophthalmologists. After completing medical school and an internship, an ophthalmologist must then complete a three to five year residency in an approved ophthalmology program. After completing their residency program they must pass an examination to be certified.


Reflection:

I don’t want to be an ophthalmologist, I can’t even spell it. As fascinating as it sounds, I have no interest whatsoever in treating people’s eye vision. Even though people sometimes really do go to the ophthalmologist (sounds a lot like I’m confusing it with optometry, but the images on Google are very misleading) half the time, people get glasses as less for their own benefit, and more because they think they’ll look “cool” which is definitely NOT the case. It’s very hypocritical of me to say that, since I know that’s the very same reason I originally wanted glasses, but it’s true, and I hate it. I don’t believe this is my calling, or ever will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment